Valentine Bookmark

With my son's class Valentine's Day party looming, I knew I didn't have much time but still wanted to have a little something extra for him to share with his classmates. Typically, there's a lot of candy going around that day, and I just didn't feel like anyone needed more. "Wanted" maybe, but didn't "need." So I decided to make them each a personalized bookmark instead.

They were quite easy with only 5 simple steps. I just need to leave a little more time to do things like this now that there are 23 students in his class, but I tend to leave things to the last minute.

Begin with a piece of white cardstock 1/2" smaller than the size bookmark you would like to make. I made mine 6" x 2". Use a hole punch to put a hole in the center of one end.

Next, use a heart punch to punch a couple of hearts into the opposite end.

Then add a layer of red printed fabric (or paper) onto the cardstock. It should be slightly smaller than the piece of cardstock. I used fabric and used pinking shears to add texture to the edges.

Add the student's name. I used my embroidery machine to stitch their names, then positioned the name on top of the fabric and sewed it in place. You can use any materials to create the name, such as rubber stamps, vinyl letters, or even hand-written with markers or crayons.

Next, tie a ribbon through the punched hold. I used a ribbon that frays when cut to add a little flare to the tied end.

Finally, glue the back of the cardstock onto a piece of red felt slightly larger that the piece of cardstock. I cut mine 2 1/2" x 6 1/2", then used pinking shears again to finish the edges.

That's it! Ready to use to mark your place.


My son presented them to his classmates today and they really seemed to appreciate them. His school is very big on extra reading, so everyone should have a use for them.

It was a Valentine's gift that won't rot their teeth, and hopefully will (indirectly) grow their intellect. Definitely beats another piece of candy that will be eaten and forgotten.

Hope you give it a try!

And be sure to check out the endless list of inspirational ideas at my home page childmade.com.


Thursday
Transformation Thursday
Show Off Your Stuff Party
Strut Your Stuff Thursday
Thrifty Thursday
Get Your Craft on at Life as Lori

Friday
Victory of the Week
Show and Tell Friday
Frugalicious Friday